Friday 14 October 2011

Friday round up

I've been a bit remiss about joining in my usual blog hops lately and I'm afraid today will join the casualty list, crazy day and my brain isn't up to thinking! However I thought I should at least do a recap of what's been going on on the blog since last time!

In the last couple of weeks I have reviewed:

Solider I by Pete Winner & Michael Kennedy - a military memoir
Cancelled by Elizabeth Ann West - a modern romance
Fey Girl by Kevin Newman - first in the Fey World fantasy series
The Defector by Mark Chisnell - a psychological thriller

I've also been talking about micro-volunteering. The label is new to me but I've realised the concept isn't. I'm no stranger to the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle mantra and this week have bought green cleaning products, which you can get refilled locally rather than buying a new bottle (reduce, reuse), put a load of baby items on a buy/sell/swap site on FB  & donated a box full of stuff to a charity shop (reuse/recycle)

Another easy thing you can do to benefit your community is never turn down those vouchers the major supermarkets offer. Active Kids, Computers for Schools, whatever, even if you don't have school age children I bet you know someone who does. I know they say there's no such thing a free meal but I set up a scheme at work to get everyone taking them, and we passed them on to a couple of local schools, and the Governors tell me that they've been able to get all sorts of bits of kit the budget wouldn't normally stretch to. Easy peasy! Anyone got any great ideas for new exciting ways to do good without much effort?

No comments: